If you find this Appam cooking recipe is useful, please share with others.
Appam Recipe Ingredients
1 cup rice
1 tsp dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup cooked rice
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
An appam maker or small, shallow kadahi ? 6?-8? diameter on top
Appam Recipe Procedure
- Wash and soak rice in water for 3-4 hours.
- Soak the yeast with 1 tsp sugar and 2 tbsp lukewarm water and leave to rise for 15 minutes.
- Grind the soaked rice to a very fine paste, along with the cooked rice and the yeast mixture.
- Add the coconut milk, salt and 1 tsp sugar, mix gently and leave to ferment for 6-8 hours.
- Heat a tbsp of oil in the kadahi or appam maker, swirl it around and pour off extra oil.
- When hot, pour about 1 cup batter in the kadahi. Turn the kadahi around swiftly, to let a thin layer rise up to cover the sides of the kadahi also. The center is thicker.
- Cover, lower the heat and cook, till the edges start lifting (about a minute). Uncover, ease out the appams thus formed and transfer on to a serving plate.
- Continue this with the rest of the batter. You might have to grease again only after 3-4 appams.