If you find this Gunjiya cooking recipe is useful, please share with others.
Gunjiya Recipe Ingredients
2 cups refined flour
1/4 cup clarified butter
water to mix
1/2 cup khoya
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp powdered green cardamom
1 tbsp finely chopped almonds
ghee for deep-frying
Gunjiya Recipe Procedure
- Rub one-fourth cup ghee into the flour and knead into a stiff dough with water. Leave to rest for at least half an hour.
- For the filling, saut?he khoya over medium heat till it looks slightly fried. Take off the heat and when it cools, mix in the sugar, cardamom and almonds.
- Shape the filling into ovals about 2 1/2 cm/1 in length and 1/2 cm/1/4 in thickness.
- Make balls of the dough and roll out into L cm/1/8 in thick rounds.
- Take a round, wet the edges with water and place a piece of filling over one half. Fold the other half over and press the edges together to seal. Either cut off the edge with a fancy cutter or make a design by pinching and twisting all along the sealed edges. Make all the gunjiyas in this way.
- Heat ghee in a kadahi. To check if the ghee is hot enough put a piece of dough in it. If it comes up at once, add as many gunjiyas as fit in comfortably. Turn them over and lower the heat to medium. Fry till golden brown on all sides. Lift out and leave to drain on absorbent paper.
- Fry the rest, increasing the heat for a few seconds before adding the next lot. Can be eaten hot or at room temperature and can be stored in air tight containers.