Petha (Ashgourd Sweet) Recipe
If you find this Petha (Ashgourd Sweet) cooking recipe is useful, please share with others.
Petha (Ashgourd Sweet) Recipe Ingredients
1 kg safed petha (ash gourd /white pumpkin) out of a large, hard one
2 tsp chemical lime (chuna)
3/4 kg (3 cups) sugar
3 cups water
1 tbsp lemon juice
3-4 green cardamoms-peeled and crushed
1 tsp gulab jal (rose water)
Petha (Ashgourd Sweet) Recipe Procedure
- Peel the pumpkin and remove the seeds and the soft portion (fibres). Cut into large, thick slices. Prick well with a fork, all over.
- Dissolve 1 tsp lime in water to cover pumpkin and soak for 2 hours. Remove pieces, throw water and wash well. Cut into cubes and soak once again in a fresh lot of lime for another 2 hours.
- Drain pieces and wash thoroughly, squeezing out the water and rinsing again so that no trace of the lime remains. Boil water and cook petha till cooked through and transparent.
- In the meantime, make syrup of sugar, water, lemon juice and cardamoms till one thread consistency.
- Keep the syrup warm and when pumpkin pieces are cooked through, lift them out with a slotted spoon and transfer into the syrup. Simmer a couple of minutes, shut off the heat and add the rose water and mix well.